[Morphic] Re: chanllenges. Juan's new morphic

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Mon May 22 12:19:20 UTC 2006

Hi Jerome!

It is in a very early stage, and blah blah bla.
You can download it from www.sinectis.com.ar/u/jmvuletich/NewMorphic13.zip .
Then do TestMorph new openInWorld, play a bit with it (move, stretch,
rotate). Then browse the class. The intersting part is that the #drawOn:
method doesn't need to know anything but it's own size: [-1..1] x [1..-1].

(what follows is copied from a recent mail from me):

What follows are some ideas for a redesign of Morphic. Some of them were
suggested by John Maloney (the main implementor of Morphic). Others are old
ideas of mine. I did my first experiments on them in C, way before knowing
about Smalltalk.

- Every Morph defines a space and a coordinate system. His #drawOn: method
and the location of his submorphs are expressed in his own coordinate
system.

- The coordinate systems are 2D but are not restricted to Cartesian. Others
are polar, logarithmic Cartesian, and hyperbolic and map-like projections.
The basic one is Cartesian with Float coordinates.

- There is no concept of pixel. Going from pixels to general coordinate
systems is like going from bits to objects. All the gui is independent of
pixel resolution. All the rendering is antialiased.

- (A coordinate system + its position in an owner + its extent in an owner +
its rotation angle in an owner) together specify a translation of
coordinates
to the owner's space and coordinate system.

- The Morph hierarchy is NOT a shape hierarchy. Morphs don't have a concept
of a border or color. There is no general concept of submorph aligning.

- The existing Morph hierarchy is renamed as OldXxxx. Anyway, most of them
are deleted. Only kernel, a few basic, and the programming tools remain.

- Old Morphs and new Morphs can live together in a World.

Of course, if you (or anyone) is interested enough, you can help!

Cheers,
Juan