[Morphic] Re: chanllenges. Juan's new morphic

Juan Vuletich jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar
Wed May 31 15:30:55 UTC 2006

Hi Jerome!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peace Jerome" <peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com>
To: "Juan Vuletich" <jmvsqueak at uolsinectis.com.ar>
Cc: <morphic at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:52 PM
Subject: Re: chanllenges. Juan's new morphic

> Hi Juan,
>
> Thanks for responding to my request to make the new
> morph stuff available.
>
> I've had a channce to play with it. In its present
> form it runs out of running room fairly quickly.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. What do you mean by "runs out of running
room"?

> That said. The decomposition of morphs into location
> and co-ordinate system seems promising.

Thanks.

> I tried putting some Testmorphs together. The
> behaviour was odd.  Turning a morph with submorphs
> left the submorphs stationary relative to the world.
> This surprised me.

The conversions between coordinates systems of nested morphs is not done
yet. I know it's almost useless as it is. But I hate vaporware. I didn't
want to say "Hey, I'm doing this and that, its cool. But you can't see it."

> In the full conception what are the locations relative
> to? Their direct owners or the world?

The locations are always relative to the direct owner. The idea is that is
you embed a morph in another that has, for example, a cartographic like
coordinate system, the first morph will look as in a real map.

> Picking up a morph would move its submorphs but
> rotating a morph would not. The brown move handle
> worked only for morphs owned by the world. Using them
> on submorphs got a debug due to a DNU. The grab handle
> worked for moving the submorphs relative to their (now
> former) owner.  Dropping the morphs did seem to
> reimbed them however.

I know. The only that you can see on this version is TestMorph>>drawOn: on
it's own coordinate system, without a mechanism for handling rotation (as in
PolygonMorph) or an external transformation (as in general flexed Morphs).

> So at this stage what kind of encouragement/help are
> you looking for?

I know there is not much to look at, but If you'd like to think a bit on the
way to model locations and coordinate systems, and tell discuss about
alternatives, etc., that would be cool. The main idea is that a coordinate
system together with it's location in some container specify a
transformation to/from the container's coordinate system. And I want this to
work with any 2d coordinate systems: Cartesian, Polar, various cartographic,
logarithmic, hyperbolic, etc. I also want to make easy to move, scale or
rotate any morph, that's the reason for the ivars in Locations. But, am I
right on the ideas? Is this a good design?

Soon I'll fix nested morph, and clean the translation to the world
coordinates. Then, I'll implement some sample coordinate systems to play
with. Then is when it will be cool to play with.

Perhaps I should write a bit more about the objectives, so you or anyone can
help with code too.

> Yours in service, -- Jerome Peace

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich