[Morphic] Re: NewMorphic Feedback (1 source control)

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sat Jun 23 12:22:23 UTC 2007

Hi Jerome,

Jerome Peace escribió:

>> performance yet, so everything should be slow...
>>

> Actually the iMac is well designed and the performance
> is responsive. I can resize the example at about the
> same speed as I am used to. Of Course there not a lot
> else going on at the same time. So its not much of a
> burden. The real problem is I can usually find things
> that bring everything to a screeching halt within 15
> minutes. The copy handle is good for that.
>
> The balloon engine is probably the reason for the
> speed. Two or three version ago I did give up because
> things were too slow.
>
> The system is slow when not just displaying your
> morphs. Bringing up a browser or an inspector feels
> like it takes forever (compared to what I'm used to.
> lol).
>
> The balloon engine is also probably responsible for
> the clipping bugs. It has some very bad rounding
> errors in it. A lot bugs which I'm good enough to find
> but not knowledgable enough to fix.

I think we need serious work on performance too. But now is too early
for that in M3.

WRT Balloon, it is great. It is fast and it is there. I know it has
bugs, but now I'm focusing on the morph themselves. It is good to have
balloon around to get morphs working. Later, maybe it could be replaced
by Cairo as in Sophie. Or perhaps we can enhance Balloon. Or use some
other engine. Neither Ballon nor Cairo are the final solution for M3
because they only support affine (i.e. linear) transforms.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich