[Newcompiler] SmaCC question -- does Test pane work for SqueakParser/SqueakScanner?

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Oct 30 03:06:52 UTC 2006

Hi all.  I'm playing around with the NewCompiler, mainly just at the
AST level, with SmaCC (Dev), and trying to fiddle with alternate
syntaxes.

Question:  I went through the SmaCC tutorial successfully.  However,
if I try to load the NewCompiler (SqueakScanner/SqueakParser) classes
into SmaCC and use the "Test" pane to test the parsing (for example
"3 + 4"), I always get a parsing error (Token not expected).  Same
with some of the other parsers such as the JavaParser.  However, the
Test pane parsing works for the simple CalculatorParser from the
tutorial.

Any ideas?  It will be kind of a pain to play around with SmaCC if I
can't use the Test pane to test the changes.

Steps to reproduce:
- Start up a fresh Squeak3.9-RC3-7066 image
- Open SqueakMap & install in this order:
   - Refactoring Engine v 20
   - SmaCCDev v 5  (from squeaksource)
   - AST v 88
   - NewCompiler v 117
- In SmaCC window, follow the first part of the tutorial and create
the CalculatorScanner/Parser
- In the Test tab, enter "3 + 4" and Parse... this parses successfully
- Back in the Compile tab, select SqueakScanner/Parser classes (or
JavaScanner/Parser)
- In the Test tab, enter "3 + 4" and Parse... error:
"SmaCCParserError: Token not expected->"

- Doug

p.s. On a separate note, Goran gave me co-maintainer access to the
"SqueakMap2 base" package, and I've published a new version (1.23)
which fixes a bunch of display problems in the SqueakMap package loader.