[Newcompiler] Properties for AST

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 9 08:48:09 UTC 2007

On 09.04.2007, at 10:23, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On 09.04.2007, at 09:00, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a question is the information retained useful for other tools.
>>

> In case of the Tokens, I think we don't need them later. The whole
> idea of providing a high-level
> representation is to be able to throw away the low level one

Another reason why retaining Tokens is a bad idea: They are purely
implementation level artefacts.
The idea of the Scanner is  to tokenize the  input string so that the
grammar can be formulated in
terms of scanner tokens. This simplifies the  grammar by a huge
extend, and thus makes the Parser
faster, as the automatton generated is  far smaller.

But all this parser stuff is fairly old:  it was done in the
seventies, when computers where *slow*
and had *extremely* small memories. It's purely implementation
driven. And the cool thing is
that today's machines are so amazingly fast that we can start to
questions very basic assumptions
defined 30 years ago that are kind of are regarded as "laws of
nature". Scannerless parsing is one of them.

The extremely nice feature of scannerless parsers is that they are
compositional: you can merge
any two grammers completely automatically. C with embedded ASM? no
problem. HTML with embedded
strange language? Done.

This is *very* cool for DSLs (Domain Specific Languages) and in
general systems where the
language should be extensible (growable) even on the level on the
Grammar.

	Marcus