[Newcompiler] Properties for AST

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 9 14:30:08 UTC 2007

On 09.04.2007, at 15:42, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On 9 avr. 07, at 10:23, Marcus Denker wrote:
>

>> On 09.04.2007, at 09:00, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have a question is the information retained useful for other
>>> tools.
>>>

>> In case of the Tokens, I think we don't need them later. The whole
>> idea of providing a high-level
>> representation is to be able to throw away the low level one. What
>> we need from the Tokens
>> is meta data: comments and possitions in source. The position data
>> we then can flush if it is identical
>> to the one the pretty printer would re-create. This way, we don't
>> need any position/whitespace data
>> on the AST of  any methods of the system other then newly created
>> ones by people not using the
>> pretty printer.
>
> Ok but for example the debugger does not use such information to
> highlight the messages?

It does, so we need to be able to get this information from
somwhere... if the code was formated with the
standard pretty printer, we can re-create the position data. If it
was formatted differently, we need to annotate
the AST with position data and use that.

I don't think that the methods people write are a problem with space,
it's the 300.000 existing methods
of the shipped system. And exactly those should be formattted by a
well-defined, automatic pretty printer.

	Marcus