[Newcompiler] Properties for AST

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 9 17:36:43 UTC 2007

On 09.04.2007, at 18:25, Andrew Tween wrote:

> I actually think that people will like it, so long as ...
>     1. they get some extra functionality
>     2. they can stiil view and edit their methods as source.
>     3. they can still open the .changes file in a text editor and
> search for
> stuff.
>

>> Same problem, same solution. Smalltalk opted to model Classes as
>> object, with
>> no source level representation at all. I think we should do the same
>> for methods.
>
> This is almost the case anyway. CompiledMethods contain enough info
> to browse
> senders etc.
> And you could ditch the source completely and just run with the
> CompiledMethods.
> The problem comes when a compiledMethod cannot be decompiled into
> its original
> source.

CompiledMethods suck.

We used CompiledMethods to be the main representation to encode sub
method structure
for ByteSurgeon: http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Research/ByteSurgeon/

This was just using Bytecode for structural reflection (and on top of
it, for a behavioral reflection
framework), not trying to replace text. There are a number of
problems with this approach, e.g.
there need to be a way to destinguish inlined code from the code the
programmer wrote,
e.g. to be able to provide a debugger that makes sense.

	Marcus