[Newcompiler] The decompiler for the old block is ready to test

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Nov 11 13:38:51 UTC 2007

On 10.11.2007, at 18:37, Mathieu Suen wrote:

> Yes , I think but do you know why the decompiler is needed even when
> you have the ChangeSet file.

The whole stuff in the image is extremely messy...

for one, printing blocks where the printout shows the content of the
block uses the decompiler.

BlockContext>>decompileString
	^self decompile decompileString.

This should be rewritten to use the bytecode-offset-to-text mapping
that is provided by the AST.

After that, we should check who is calling the decompiler. One thing
that happens is that
as soon as no text can be found (e.g. for methods that have been
generated, like in Preferences),
the decompiler is called transparently. I think this machinery should
be rewritten to generate
text in addition to the compiledMethod.

There might be other places where calls happen, but these are quite
likely bugs that are
just hidden behing the transparent decompile mechanisms.

	Marcus