[News] News Team Report - October 2005
giovanni at corriga.net
Fri Nov 4 23:33:22 CET 2005
The purpose of the News team is to publish news regarding Squeak
development and use. It aims to provide a service to the Squeak
community, highlighting anything which the Squeak users may find
interesting in The Weekly Squeak newszine. It will also try to promote
Squeak outside its own community, by submitting articles and news items
to mainstream websites such as Slashdot and OSNews.
The team is still only a couple of weeks old, but things seem to be
The most important open issues are:
1. editor backup: at the moment the editor (who is responsible for
actually publishing the content) is a bottleneck and a single point of
failure for the whole news publishing process. This means that The
Weekly Squeak is always late :-(
2. publishing: publishing on the Swiki, then preparing a message to the
mailing lists, then adding SqueakPeople diary entries is done by hand at
the moment. Also, using the Swiki isn't the most satisfying solution.
3. mailing lists: at the moment, only the squeak-dev, smallwiki and
squeakland mailing list are actively tracked.
Proposed actions, scheduled for November:
1. try and reduce TWS' lateness. This will mean taking a couple of hours
for a deep immersion in squeak-dev's archives.
2. set up an experimental Smallwiki 1 server to explore possible
solutions for issue #2.
3. add more mailing lists to the roster. This will mean sending a call
for help and asking someone to act as a correspondent for that mailing
Long term actions:
1. start producing articles to be sent to mainstream news sites.
The News team has a mailing list (news at lists.squeakfoundation.org,
Everyone can subscribe to the list, even if just for lurking, but new
team members are always welcome ;)
More information about the News