3.9: Numbering?

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Aug 1 18:22:01 UTC 2005

Hi,

With 3.9 we now can not use the update number as a sub-numbering
(e.g. 3.9updateXYZ). So it might be interesting
to come up with a different way of numbering at least some snap-shots
along the way to 3.9 final...

1) For putting out pre-loaded images. I think this is a god thing to
have, as it makes testing easiert for people, thus
     growing the number of testers
2) As tags for "stable" points, so people can say "it worked in 3.9.15".

The question is if we adopt the Linux Way of numbering: 3.8 is
stable, 3.9 is unstable, both have minor revisions (3.8.1, 3.9.1),
with 3.9 then be renamed 3.10 as soon as we decide to do a stabler
release.

What do you think? I would like to release a 3.9alpha image soon, so
that people can test the changes that we added over
the last week. There was a huge bag-log of small fixes on mantis.

       Marcus