3.9alpha update stream (was Re: source.squeakfoundation.org)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Jul 2 18:30:43 UTC 2005

On Jul 2, 2005, at 5:48 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Jul 2, 2005, at 6:22 AM, Doug Way wrote:
>>

>> Right now I'm loading all the packages from the 39a repository into a
>> test image, so I can put together an MCConfiguration.  However, the
>> Morphic package causes a problem when I load it... there are a few
>> changes in the code related to the reorg.  (Specifically, the reorg
>> moved some essential methods such as Morph>>handlerForMouseDown: from
>> a "*StandardYellow..." category to a plain "standardyellow..."
>> category, so that they're no longer extensions.)
>>
>> Avi, were the packages you put in the 39a repository created without
>> installing the Reorg changeset first?  That would explain the
>> difference.  I may have to put some updated versions of the packages
>> in the 39a repository to be exactly consistent with the source in the
>> 3.8+reorg image.
>
> Yes, I think that's right - so, good, commit them; this will give the
> system a little more of a workout.

Alright, I started committing them, I have an image set up where I
could commit them all.

Well, I just committed one so far, Balloon-dew.1.mcz.  Since it was a
new package created from scratch (from my own partitioning DoIt), it
starts at version 1.  This is good, I think, since it really has no
ancestry.  All the packages could start at version 1, except for
Monticello & SqueakMap, which do have an MC ancestry.

The only problem is that you have a version 4 (Balloon-avi.4.mcz) out
there in the 39a repository, and SqueakSource thinks that is the
"latest" one.  Should I try to create mine as a version 5 instead?
(Not sure offhand how to do that.)  Or is there a way to delete your
packages?

- Doug

p.s. for (mostly my own) reference, here's my list of steps that I'm
using for all of this:

1. Generate packages for 39a repository:

- Start with 3.8-6665-basic image, rename
- Install Reorg cs
- Install my CleanupUserObjects cs (removes UserObjects & its
etoy-generated classes)
- Install latest MC.261 + MCConfigs.30 from Bert
- Run my package-creation DoIt, which creates exactly 35 packages in
the MC browser:
	"Create MC packages for all system category prefixes."
	(SystemOrganization categories collect: [:ea | (ea findTokens: $-)
first]) asSet
		do: [:prefix |
				PackageInfo registerPackageName: prefix.
				MCWorkingCopy forPackage: (MCPackage new name: prefix)].
- Add 39a repository in MC (with my id/pw), add to all packages in MC.
- Save all 35 packages to the 39a repository.

2. Post initial updates to the 3.9alpha update stream:

- In updates.list, rename previous #3.9alpha stream tag to
#3.9alphaold, to keep it around for reference.  Add new #3.9alpha tag
at the end to start it over.
- Add Reorg cs as first update.  (Hmm, may not be entirely necessary,
but probably a good idea so that the packages installed later have
identical code.)
- Add my CleanupUserObjects cs as the 2nd update.
- Add two changesets based on Bert's MC & MCConfigurations installs, as
3rd & 4th updates.

3. Create MCConfiguration changeset to be added to the update stream:

- Start with 3.8-6665-basic image, rename
- Install Reorg cs
- Install MC + MCConfigs from Bert
- Load all 35 latest packages from the 39a repository (the ones I saved
there previously) via MC, one by one.  Before each load, check the
"changes" to make sure there are no changes, i.e. the package and the
code in the image should be identical.
- Open the MCConfigurations browser, add all 35 packages, in the
preferred load order.  For this first MCConfiguration, I'm not sure the
load order matters all that much, since the loaded code should be
identical to what's already in the image.  I guess I will start with
the "root" packages first (Kernel, Collections, etc) and add the outer
ones later in the list.
- Post the configuration to the 3.9alpha update stream (as the 5th
update), see how it goes.

4. Test the 3.9alpha stream by updating from a fresh image!