3.9alpha update stream (was Re: source.squeakfoundation.org)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jul 4 03:59:38 UTC 2005

> I have a silly question, but why do we need MCConfiguration?
> Why not to have a package named SqueakPackages that will depends
> on all the package of the system.

Because you couldn't use that to interleave MC with other updates. What
you're proposing is fine if you're only concerned in giving people
access to the latest source code but it ain't working very well if you
consider the kind of incremental updating process that we've usually
provided. MCConfs give us the ability to go through the same steps
again, if for example, someone wants to take a 3.8 image and upgrage it
to a 3.9 image. If all that's involved is source-code changes that would
work with a single "master package" as well but if there are
intermediate stages, where certain versions of packages need to be
present for the update to make sense you'll have a hard time to make
that work.

Cheers,
   - Andreas