3.9alpha update stream

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Jul 4 16:18:17 UTC 2005

On Jul 4, 2005, at 5:45 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> - start with a fresh 3.8-6665-basic image (save a copy)
>> - 'SystemVersion setVersion' to 'Squeak3.9alpha'
>> - load updates
>
> When I do that, I get a rollback "Error: cannot remove non-empty
> category".
> Change 6672CleanupUserObjects-dew yields this.
> Am I the only one ?
>
> The image I used is a fresh 6665.

Hm, you're right, we don't really need to remove the category in the
update stream.  It mainly needed to be removed when I created the 35
packages, so that it wasn't one of them.

Make sure that you're using a basic image, not a full image.  Following
this new update stream with a full image will only invite problems, and
is probably pointless.  (Ok, I just tweaked the 6675 warning update to
encourage people to start with a 3.9alpha-basic image to clarify this.
Yes, this image is not available yet, but it will be before we announce
the new process to the public.)  I started with the
Squeak3.8-6665-basic.zip on the ftp site.

Anyway, I changed 6672 so that it only removes the three player
classes, not the category.  Give it another try.  (You'll eventually
hit the problem with SM-Base mcd file, but at least most of the
packages will load, and you can poke around the packages with MC, and
also look at the 6676 MCConfig update.)

- Doug