New 3.9alpha image is ready! (sort of)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Wed Jul 6 20:26:46 UTC 2005

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 08:13:59 +0200, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
said:
> In Tweak we have basically a fixed load order (==configuration) which
> originates from the configuration used in the original build. But the
> main reason for wanting to have a well-defined load order is that
> typically, if there are sets of cross-package changes, they follow
> already established dependencies.

Yes, makes sense.  That should reduce the need for special update
changesets to load packages in a special order.

Any suggestions on how I should implement this?  I guess we could just
have a method defined somewhere (in the load-updates code) which has a
hardcoded, ordered list of the 35 package names.  I guess this list
won't change very often.  (The 3.9a-6676 image doesn't seem to be
hanging onto the MCConfiguration instance that was loaded in update
#6676, otherwise I might try to use that.)

> Meaning that if I change a base class
> to include a new property and then some higher-level code to use it the
> load-order simply ensures that by default we load the dependent package
> version first.

The first half of your sentence makes it sound like the
prerequisite/base packages (e.g. Kernel) should be loaded first, which I
think sounds right.  Then the outer ("dependent") packages later, not
earlier, right?  ("dependent" is the opposite of "prerequisite" AFAIK.)

- Doug