SqueakSource issues (was Re: New 3.9alpha image is ready! (sort of))

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Jul 16 22:48:52 UTC 2005

Alright, that all makes sense below.  I'm trying to create a
#loadLatestMCPackages method along the lines of what you describe.

Earlier this week, as a test, I tried to run
MCConfiguration>>updateFromRepositories on the MCConfiguration defined
in update #6676.  It hung, and I didn't have time to look into it
further earlier, but I have a bit more time  now. :)

So, the main problem here is that it tries to load an .mcd file for the
Kernel package: Kernel-md.5(dew.1).mcd, which doesn't exist.  Both the
original Kernel-dew. and the newer Kernel-md.5 versions are in the 39a
repository.  (Marcus has been porting a few fixes to the new 3.9a
packages, thus the new versions... cool stuff!)

There are two sub-problems here:

1. It just hangs when it tries to get a file which doesn't exist on
SqueakSource.  It should return some sort of not found error instead.
(You mention this exact problem in your 7/12 email... apparently the
impara.de SqueakSource server doesn't have this problem.)  Help from
Avi/Cees or a SqueakSource guy? :-)

2. The .mcd file does not exist.  How is this intended to work?
   A. Is the SqueakSource server supposed to generate the .mcd file on
the fly, or maybe upon the saving of a new version?  (Makes sense,
that's a lot less bandwidth for these big packages.)
   B. Should the MCConfig code in the image not be trying to download
.mcd files?
   C. Do we need to be saving .mcd files and not .mcz when we save new
versions to the repository?

(I'm pretty sure the answer isn't C, that would be dumb.  I'm guessing
A.)

Anyway, once we get this working, I'll create a #loadLatestMCPackages
method and incorporate that as part of the Utilities>>updateFromServer
code, and issue that as a new update.  Then we should be ready to go!

(I'll probably do something like the class-side #initialize containing
the configuration, so that it gets overwritten after an update, and
then test it for equality, which you mentioned earlier.)

Mmm, I may just put this "configuration" in the System package for now
(where the rest of the updating code is), since it's really just a
non-version-specific load order which would not change often.  If that
becomes an issue we can move it into its own package.

(Speaking of non-version-specific, it might be nice to be able to
define a non-version-specific MCConfiguration for this purpose, so that
it's clear in the method that the version numbers aren't meant to be
used.  E.g. map _ MCConfiguration fromArray: #(repository
('http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a') dependency ('Kernel')
dependency ('Collections') ... etc.  Although perhaps the initial
versions or uuid's are needed for ancestry info?  Anyway, not a big
deal.)

- Doug