SqueakSource issues (was Re: New 3.9alpha image is ready! (sort of))

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Mon Jul 18 04:00:11 UTC 2005

On Jul 17, 2005, at 4:43 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am 17.07.2005 um 00:48 schrieb Doug Way:
>> 2. The .mcd file does not exist.  How is this intended to work?
>>   A. Is the SqueakSource server supposed to generate the .mcd file on
>> the fly, or maybe upon the saving of a new version?  (Makes sense,
>> that's a lot less bandwidth for these big packages.)
>>   B. Should the MCConfig code in the image not be trying to download
>> .mcd files?
>>   C. Do we need to be saving .mcd files and not .mcz when we save new
>> versions to the repository?
>>
>> (I'm pretty sure the answer isn't C, that would be dumb.  I'm
>> guessing A.)
>
> Yes it's A, a diff is generated on the fly when it is requested first,
> and then cached. Building a diff for version n
> against the previous n-1 versions would be O(n^2), and we might never
> need all. So it's only built on demand.

Makes sense.

So, the problem is that the squeaksource repository at sqf.org is not
generating any .mcd files for whatever reason.  It looks like this .mcd
generation is a relatively new feature... is it something that was just
added in the impara.de version of squeaksource?  I see that
http://squeaksource.com at berne does not seem to have the .mcd
capability either, although at least it returns a "not found" error
rather than hanging.

Actually, it's pretty easy to plug the URLs into a browser to test the
various squeaksource repositories, since it's just a simple HTTP get.
These links show how the various repositories behave:

works:
http://source.impara.de/mc/Monticello-bf.260.mcz
http://source.impara.de/mc/Monticello-bf.261.mcz
http://source.impara.de/mc/Monticello-bf.261%28bf.260%29.mcd