Fixing the SqueakSource install at sqf.org (was Re: SqueakSource issues)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Sat Jul 23 16:47:33 UTC 2005

On Jul 18, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Doug Way wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:36:38 +0200, "Bert Freudenberg" <bert at impara.de>
> said:
>>>
>>> doesn't work:  (hangs!)
>>> http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a/Kernel-md.5%28dew.1%29.mcd
>>
>> Did you compare the package versions I sent around?
>
> Actually, I didn't set up the SqueakSource installation at
> source.squeakfoundation.org... Cees & Avi did.  So I'm not sure which
> versions are in that install.  I'll bug them about it.

Hmm, haven't heard from them yet, they may be busy or on summer holiday.

I'll see about getting access to the SqueakSource install and playing
around with it myself, or setting up a new install.  (Probably wouldn't
hurt to learn how to install it.)

Basically, 3.9alpha is pretty much at a standstill until we get this
diff generation fixed.  Should be doable, Impara's install does it, we
just need the same configuration.

(Well, it's not completely at a standstill, we can do some harvesting
of a few things into the new packages.  But the automatic updating of
packages via mcconfig/mcd files won't work.  I don't think we should
make the new process totally public on squeak-dev until we get that
side of it working.  Alternatively we could just have it install the
full .mcz packages every time, but that kills a lot of bandwidth and
would probably hammer the SqueakSource server at sqf.org... we might as
well just get the .mcd generation working.)

If anyone else knowledgable with SqueakSource wants to help with this,
that would be great.

- Doug