iSqueak

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sat Jun 18 20:30:54 UTC 2005

Am 18.06.2005 um 10:12 schrieb Doug Way:

> On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:38 AM, Avi Bryant wrote:
>

>> ...  If you didn't see the original message from Andreas, here's
>> the important bit:
>>
>> "In Tweak, *all* code is in packages[*]. Updates are
>> exclusively used for in-image reshapes, e.g., when part of the system
>> has undergone significant changes that require manual
>> intervention. In
>> order to synchronize these modifications with the package versions
>> that
>> we expect, we typically post a configuration map, e.g., a list of
>> packages where we expect some specific version to be present.
>>
>> When you update, we always consult the update stream first. This will
>> suck in any intermediate configurations and perform the necessary
>> in-image modifications. Once this is done, we merely upgrade all
>> packages in a well-defined order to their latest version."
>>

> Is there an example of one of these "config map" changeset updates
> that we could look at?  Just curious as to what these look like.

This is from the Tweak update stream:

http://squeakalpha.org/tweak/external/updates/0559AddDemoPackage.cs

"upgrading" from a config map loads (*) all the packages in it, but
only if there is not a newer version already in the system. So after
updating you can be sure to have at least these versions.

- Bert -

(*) or merges, based on a preference