source.squeakfoundation.org (was Re: iSqueak)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sun Jun 26 13:47:53 UTC 2005

Am 26.06.2005 um 13:22 schrieb Avi Bryant:

> On 6/26/05, Bert Freudenberg <bert at impara.de> wrote:
>

>> Please have a look at
>>
>>      http://tweak.impara.de/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/
>>
>> Then ask back with any questions :)
>>

> My first question is about workflow: how often do you save a new
> config map?

Actually, in the Tweak update scheme we do not "save" a config map at
all. When we post it to the update stream, it is not retained after
be loaded.

Additionally, we have a global config map in the image, which is
updated automatically by using the highest-numbered version found in
the repository. This config map update is performed after updating
from the update stream.

> Do you only do it when you either add or reorder
> packages, or need to post an intermediate update to the stream?

Yes, that's the current practice, because Tweak is still undergoing
heavy development.

> Or do
> you save the config map for every stable configuration of versions
> (whenever all tests are green or whatever)?  It seems to be intended
> more for the former, particularly because the naming seems to be
> totally manual, whereas with the current dependency system I tend
> towards the latter.

True. We rely on the update-stream / config map hybrid, so previous
config maps are only found in the update stream, not as explicitly
versioned files.

> Do you tend to just have one version of the config map in the repo
> that you overwrite when things change, or do you end up with a lot
> with different names (which seems it would really clutter up the
> repository browser)?

As I said, we do not create config map files at all right now, so
this part of the code is a bit underdeveloped. Our squeaksource
version supports uploading of config maps, but we do not use this
right now. When I experimented with this, I uploaded the updated
config map under the same name. Locally, I even explicitely forbid
caching of config map files because the name was not guaranteed to be
unique.

OTOH, config maps are a lot like MCVersions, so they would benefit
from the same naming scheme when they are stored in files. We might
want to implement something along these lines, or actually go and
merge versions and config maps into one (I imagine MCConfiguration
and MCVersion could share a common superclass handling dependencies
and naming, MCVersion would additionally have code, MCConfiguration
would have repository info ...).

- Bert -