3.9alpha update stream (was Re: source.squeakfoundation.org)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Jun 28 22:21:33 UTC 2005

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:55:56 +0200, "Avi Bryant" <avi.bryant at gmail.com>
said:
> So, the first set of packages have been uploaded to the 39a project,
> and I've placed the image I committed them from to
> http://beta4.com/~avi/Squeak3.9a-Packages.zip (for now - maybe someone
> could drop this onto box1?).  This should make a good starting point
> for anyone wanting to start feeding some new changes in.
>
> Doug, we should start doing whatever needs to be done with the 3.9a
> update stream now...

Yes, I'm fiddling around with that now.

So, here are the possible updates that would get us started with the
3.9alpha update stream...  (Starting with a fresh Squeak3.8-6665-basic
image.)

- Update cs #1:  Full Monticello changeset.  For now, I'm just using
Monticello-ar.245.mcz for this, which is the latest one in the
Squeak3.8-Packages iSqueak image, because we want a version that works
with MonticelloConfigurations.  Or can we just use one of the base
Monticello releases such as Monticello-avi.231 ?  (Does the Reorg cs
depend on a specific Monticello version?)

- Update cs #2: MonticelloConfigurations-ar.17 changeset.

- Update cs #3: Reorganize.3.8-6662.cs (from Andreas)

(Hmmm, what is in the Unnamed cs in the Squeak3.8-Packages image?
There's a bunch of changes in there... this is different from the Reorg
cs.)

- Update cs #4: The partitioning DoIt cs (from http://source.impara.de
->
Projects -> iSqueak -> wiki).

Note that after I do these steps, the list of packages in the Monticello
browser is somewhat different than in the Squeak3.8-Packages image, this
may need some cleanup?  Not sure where Connectors and some of the other
packages came from.  See attached screenshot.

Part of this is that we just need to set the release repository (to
'http://source.squeakfoundation.org/39a') for the 35 packages.  I assume
this can be done with a DoIt.  (And eventually we should also set master
repositories for these packages...)

Hopefully we can do all of this cleanup through updates, so that people
can continue to follow the update stream from a 3.8 final image if they
want.  Otherwise, we'll have to just tell everyone to download a new
3.9alpha partitioned image, which wouldn't be the end of the world, but
it'd be nice to avoid that.

- Doug