proposal for starting work on partitioning

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:36:11 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:45:11 +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
<goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:

> Again, this presumes that we are focused on splitting. I would very much
> want us to stake out regardless of split work. In other words, let us
> throw a rough PI list on the Swiki (as you say) and let people sign up
> interest regardless if they immediately intend to hack on splitting.

Sure, that's fine - if people would also like to declare interest in
maintaining a package, as well as in doing immediate splitting work,
that's clearly good information to record.  I happen to disagree with
you about priorities: the most important thing, for me, is to enable
the packages to be independently maintainable; only once that's
possible, and once we've had a little bit of experience doing things
that way, are real maintainers likely to emerge (or, for some
packages, they won't - but that's interesting to know too).  So by all
means let's start gathering information about who might want to
Steward what, but I won't personally feel any real sense of progress
until packages start taking concrete, accurate shape inside the image.

There's no real need to argue about this, since both can happen in
parallel.  But is anyone else interested in either of those things?
The list as a whole has been pretty quiet.  Maybe we're covering the
wrong topics?

> A special stream is of course a way, but what are the reasons for not
> using the 3.9 alpha stream? If this is in order to get a quicker
> turnaround I think we instead could put one person as a special reviewer
> and then that person can feed it straight into 3.9alpha. Like Doug
> (being release manager) or you with the trust of Doug or whatever.

Well, I'm guessing we'll be doing some things (like categorizing huge
swaths of methods as "*orphaned") that wouldn't be great for mass
consumption; I'd feel better if we were in a private stream while
starting this work, anyway.

Avi