[OT] commercial services in Squeak

Avi Bryant avi.bryant at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 20:17:49 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 09:43:41 -0400, Lex Spoon <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> I don't know of anyone actually using Squeak for something that is
> really, truly secret.  We might imagine, though, that people might one
> day build commercial services in Squeak.

We might indeed.

I'm involved in three commercial Squeak/Seaside projects right now, at
varying levels of secrecy.  One is funded by the University of British
Columbia, and so is quite open: it's a web application that lets
researchers enter and manage their CV information in a structured form
(or import it from course registration databases and journal indices),
and then automates the process of generating grant applications and
the like.  I count it as a commercial project because although it was
developed for internal use, there's been a lot of interest in
licensing it from other insitutions.

The second, which is more secret, is a piece of internal
infrastructure for a financial institution.

Avi