Feedback

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Mar 11 06:21:03 UTC 2005

Hi!

Avi Bryant <avi.bryant at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:08:30 +0100, goran.krampe at bluefish.se
> <goran.krampe at bluefish.se> wrote:
>
> > So my proposal is something like this (and of course, it all depends on
> > Lex):
> >         - Make SM aware of other things like images, universes, repositories
> > etc.
> >         - Still keep SM as the main catalog of packages and releases of them.
> >         - Make the Universes code use SM for the packages/releases. Looking at
> > UPackage for example it is very much overlapping SMPackage. There may of
> > course be issues with this approach but I would like to discuss it at
> > least.
>
> So, this would mean that a Universe would be an overlay on top of SM that:
>
> - For each package in SM, specified exactly 0 or 1 versions

Yes, that is one way of putting it. :)

> - For each package, specified its dependencies on other packages (no
> versions needed here, since there's only one version visible anyway)

Yes.

> - Starts out open to modification (by who?), but can be locked, after
> which it doesn't ever change

That part doesn't affect SM - SM just holds a URL to the Universe - how
the Universe is modified is up to Universes. So if you recall my
thoughts about embedded resources etc (perhaps we haven't discussed
that) a Universe would not be such an embedded resource - it would
instead be an "external" resource living on its own URL.

> - Doesn't have to reside on the central SqueakMap server

No, it can reside wherever it likes.

> Lex, does that capture the main points?
>  Oh, and I think also:
>
> - Provides a reliable cache of the actual package.  Which is, I think,
> something SM was planning to add anyway, right?

I have it working 70% in my dev image, I was at home thinking about the
final bits on that yesterday.

> Note that I'm ignoring the issue of private packages (vs. private
> configurations of packages) here...

Me too - but a Universe is all or nothing - isn't it? I mean, if I can
access a specific Universe - then I can access all packages in it,
right? Otherwise I might have missed something.

> Avi

regards, Göran