we really need help

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Oct 11 17:32:36 UTC 2005

> Actually, this is exactly the kind of problem I was having with
> bootstrapping Traits.

I'm sure.

> In that case it seemed like a pretty freak occurance (changing how
> methods are added), and wasn't worth implementing the general
> solutions, so Adrian and I went the route of creating several
> versions that load stuff in order.
>
> But both I and Avi proposed general solutions, and from the case
> you're presenting now, it seems the problem might be common enough
> to warrant implementing one of them.

This is my impression.

> I'll describe the two solutions, since I'm not yet sure what the
> tradeoffs are.
> 1. Have the loader sort the methods.

I have the impression that this is really difficult since we can have
really complex control flow.

> 2. Do an atomic change of the method dictionaries

Could be cool but no idea how practical it is.

> The first: the loader already loads classes superclass-first, for
> the obvious reasons. So we can tell it to sort the methods also -
> if Foo>>bar calls #baz, load all implementations of #baz before
> methods can be mutually recursive, but that's rare.

But in the case of the fix of marcus, isRectangle on Object should
have been loaded first and apparently SmallInteger DNU isRectangle
and the fix of marcus was on other
classes.

> The second: have the loader apply all changes to copies of the
> method dictionaries of the classes. Then atomically swap in the
> modified copies instead of the old ones. I guess this means to
> purge all caches and do an array-become. This requires vm knowledge
> to know whether it will require anything else.

I have no idea how Envy did it. I will ask joseph if he knows it.