we really need help

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Oct 15 16:44:46 UTC 2005

On 14 oct. 05, at 15:09, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I've finally had a look into the issues reported by Stef and Macrus.
>
> The scripts 5 and 6 were already working, though, I think the
> problem that Stef run into was because he tried to directly load
> script 6 without loading script 5 before (which crashes for some
> reason I didn't investigate further).

This is was I was confused because normally a script should not have
a dependency on another one.
The idea is to take an image and load the script and it should load.
Then if we encounter a problem we create a new image and restart from
there.

> Apart from factoring out some code in the ScriptLoader I did some
> simple optimization: Stef argued to always have the full list of
> versions for consistency. The problem with that is that the set of
> versions the merger has to deal with, becomes unnecessarily big. I
> added a filtering that sorts out the versions that are already
> loaded in the current image and hence can be left out.

Nice

> Also, I added methods loadOneAfterTheOther: and loadTogether:. This
> should help to do the different kind of bootstrapping scripts we
> need: the former to be able to load versions in a specific order
> and the latter to load a bunch of versions together (which is for
> example needed for MorphicSplitters changes because it move methods
> between packages). If possible, I think the former should be used
> because I guess it is faster (haven't confirmed that).

Thanks.

> I propose the following usage of script builder (at least until we
> have some other mechanism): have update methods like
> ScriptLoader>>updateFrom6693 that include all scripts to bring an
> image of this version (6693) up to date or to the next image
> version. Currently, updateFrom6693 includes script5 and script6.
>
> I published ScriptLoader to the 3.9 inbox.
>
> Daniel asked for specific problems that should be addressed and
> that other people can help with. So, here is a list:
>
> - image grow: after running updateFrom6693 and evaluating
> "MCCacheRepository flushAllCaches" the image size is still about
> 30MB, more than double of the size compared to before loading.
>
> - get rid of merge dialog. I tried to do a load instead of a merge
> but run into problems during load phase. But I don't see what
> should be different between merge and load in this case.
>
> - dirty packages that actually don't have a change (are new ones
> without repository)

> problem)
>
> - the script builder is an ad hoc solution to do bootstrapping.
> ConfigMaps (as I understand them would do only one part, that is,
> addressing the issues with MC in a more general manner, e.g., by
> enhancing ConfigMaps?

Thanks adrian.
this is the right way to go.

> I hope, this will help to get the harvesting process running again...

I hope too. Even if I would prefer not to have dependency between
scripts.
I think that this is important to try and learn and improve. So this
is what we are doing...
I will try your scripts and published in 3.9alpha

Stef