we really need help

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 01:37:11 UTC 2005

Ok, a couple of things:
1. why should those scripts ever specify load? to my understanding, load
vs. merge should always be controlled by a preference, so that
developers are always able to merge their own changes. What do you think?
2. I put in inbox a version that doesn't bring up the merge dialog if
there are no conflicts.

Adrian Lienhard wrote:
> Daniel asked for specific problems that should be addressed and that
> other people can help with. So, here is a list:
> - image grow: after running updateFrom6693 and evaluating
> "MCCacheRepository flushAllCaches" the image size is still about  30MB,
> more than double of the size compared to before loading.
What image are you starting from? the one I tried started and ended at
around 27MB. I'll explore this, but I can't say I understand what the
images mean exactly at the moment.

> - get rid of merge dialog. I tried to do a load instead of a merge  but
> run into problems during load phase. But I don't see what should  be
> different between merge and load in this case.
Got rid of the merge dialog for the case in which it is desirable. If
there are conflicts, they need to be resolved explicitly.

> - dirty packages that actually don't have a change (are new ones
> without repository)
Can someone give me a precise, tested scenario that shows this? when I
last explored this I found that the flag was really required.

> problem)
True, but we need a specific, real scenario to profile and optimize.
BTW, are we talking also when loading a diff, or when loading mcz files?

> - the script builder is an ad hoc solution to do bootstrapping.
> ConfigMaps (as I understand them would do only one part, that is,
> addressing the issues with MC in a more general manner, e.g., by
> enhancing ConfigMaps?
I started out on making config maps do the load together, but actually,
I'm not sure they are an improvement over the script loader - lots of
code there we don't need (displaying them in repositories). I propose we
get this working well, then think whether the code wants a different
interface.