source.squeakfoundation.org down

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Thu Sep 1 20:02:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:23:51 +0200, "Marcus Denker" <denker at iam.unibe.ch>
said:

> Am 01.09.2005 um 20:05 schrieb stéphane ducasse:
>
> > may be we should host it?
> >
> > There is really a problem. The server is really unstable.
> > May be this is the same problem that mike was mentioning at ESUG on
> > the unstability of
> > SqueakSource on his machine.
>
> I don't think it's the machine... so we surely would run into the
> same problems.

Right, it's almost certainly the SS image having the problem, not the
server. (which I think stephane was also agreeing with)

Sorry about the delay, I'll restart the SS image when I get home in a
few hours.  (I need ssh access to do that which I don't have where I am
right now.)

I think only Cees & I have access to this machine right now... in the
short term we may want to give access to another person or two, or move
the setup over to one of the more official community machines such as
box1, which is accessible by the box1 admins group.

In the long term we definitely need to look into the cause of the
stability problems.  I know Bert has also seen these issues and has done
a bit of debugging with this.  I will also see about running the SS
image non-headless and setting up VNC or somesuch to try to debug the
image when it gets into this state, to see if I'm seeing the same issues
as Bert.

Also, even if we improve stability, it would be good to have some sort
of read-only mirror of the repository, since the original update stream
has always had a mirror.  The mirror wouldn't be able to generate new
.mcd files, but it could at least serve the .mcz files.

- Doug