About MC for managing the image

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Sep 18 20:37:35 UTC 2005

Avi Bryant wrote:
> Let's say I have two packages, A and B.  I have a new configuration  in
> which these two packages have exchanged methods: one method from A  has
> moved to B, and one method from B has moved to A.  I try to load  that
> configuration.  Either load order is equivalent, but let's say  that
> we've specified that the order is A, B.

Ah, yes. *That* problem ;-) I've seen it often enough, usually in the
form of classes being moved between packages. And it's a pain to deal
with, I agree.

> Both of these cases are solved by simply asking MC to load or merge  the
> two packages together, rather than asking it to load them
> sequentially.  The load strategy it uses is very simple: a superclass
> always needs to be loaded before its subclasses, and a class always
> needs to be loaded before its methods.  Additions are always done
> before removals, and removals are done with the inverse rules (first
> remove methods, then classes, then superclasses).

Ah, interesting. I had no idea. But yes, that makes a lot of sense.

> What you don't get to do in that case is specify anything about the
> load order yourself.  I think the cases where specifying this is
> necessary are going to be very rare, but certainly they will happen.

I agree. I think the ratio for configs per package versions is somewhere
between 1:10 and 1:20 in Tweak.

Cheers,
   - Andreas