About MC for managing the image

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Sep 18 20:53:20 UTC 2005

stéphane ducasse wrote:
> Yes but this is exactly what we were doing with the introduction of
> morphic splitters. Now I simply cannot load the
> morphic splitters changes since they move classes around and  introduced
> packages. I think that the script idea
> is not good for package restructuring. Because the morphic splitters  is
> not complex but still finding the right order is terrible.
> Squeak died on me when I tried to load Morphic-aftermorphicsplitters.
> And I could NOT try sooner since we got a large
> set of changes from the morphicsplitter team.

A good question is whether Daniel's proposed mechanism would be able to
deal with this problem.

>> e.g., make a whole set of new package versions, try to load and
>> figure out where and why it dies.
>
> But how can we do something else?

Well, generally speaking, having the ability to do a quick check if some
changes will load okay is certainly critical even if one insists on
posting configurations explicitly (for which I don't see much of a reason).

For something like splitters change set it's probably worthwhile to
treat it as a goal and have someone work on figuring out a load-order
before trying to fold it in (unless Daniel's simu-load is capable to
deal with it).

>> Early on we looked at using dependencies but they didn't work very
>> well for what we wanted to do. Most importantly, if you have a  newer
>> version of a package it will load the older version instead  (VERY bad).
>
> I think that this is disconnected. The process should be
> - load the latest build
> - check most recent package (or the build should always be the most
> recent ie. we do not publish individual packages)
>
> Avi?
> What is your point of view on that.?

Actually, there is something to be said for having a tool to deal with
updates. What it might do is list all the (dependent) packages that are
associated with a (master) package and show you which packages are older
/ up to date / newer than in the configuration. The action to take
(upgrade, downgrade, leave alone) could be covered by preferences (e.g.,
"never downgrade", "always load exact version"...).

Add to this a way to "update all dependent packages" (which means go out
and see if there are any newer dependent packages for a master package)
and I think we've got all the bases covered. Explicit updates for
cautious people, implicit updates for the adventurous folks.

Cheers,
   - Andreas