confused by rest local rest remote

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 20:34:53 UTC 2005

I agree that there is some benefit that is gained only when a
contribution makes it into the official streams, and therefore the
continuity of the official stream does matter.

However, sometimes that has to be disturbed. Looking at another
community, sometimes Linus goes on vacation. But the important thing is
that when he gets back, he merges lots and lots of patches, because
there's lots of patches that have been accumulating in a ready state in
other peoples repositories.

So I think its important to figure out how to do everything that can be
done outside the official stream to help the official stream work
better. It used to be reviews and testing, and that worked to some
extent (wasn't great). Now we have similar activities in Mantis, and I
think that is insufficient in pretty much the same ways (not enough
people doing it, because its too far outside Squeak, and there's no
immediate benefit, and I think the email notifications aren't smart
enough - needs something like roundup).

I think what we need is more people merging in other peoples stuff and
putting the merged versions in public repositories. When someone bothers
to merge something and put it out publically, they're probably telling
you something quite meaningful about it. We still don't have a way to
gather this feedback, but that wouldn't be hard (show all descendants of
a version to see who is using some variation on it, and what variations
exist).

Daniel