[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 8 20:40:47 UTC 2009

Igor Stasenko wrote:
> 2009/7/8 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> MCMCMUpdater updateFromRepositories: #(
>>  'http://source.squeak.org/Squeak311' "fixes released for 3.11"
>>  'http://squeaksource.com/Seaside29'  "current Seaside 2.9 updates"
>>  'http://squeaksource.com/MyStuff'    "and whatever else"
>> ).
>>
> This is good & simple up to the point, when the upstream updates (say 3.11)
> going into conflict either with Seaside29
> or MyStuff and breaking everything,  while most/rest of them is not.
>
> So, by mentioning 'clever tools' i meant a more clever update process,
> which can be expressed in a form:
>
> UpdatesFrom:  'http://source.squeak.org/Squeak311'  revisedUnder: (
>   UpdatesFrom: 'http://squeaksource.com/Seaside29'  revisedUnder: (
>     UpdatesFrom: 'http://squeaksource.com/MyStuff' )) install

I think that the closest we can come in practice to such behavior is
merging. Since the MCM updates are merges, you get that precise behavior
when using multiple repositories. In other words, if there were a
conflict in the updates to 3.11 and Seaside 2.9 the update process would
open a merge browser and leave it to you to decide what exactly you want
to do with it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas