[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 01:45:40 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:
> 2009/7/9 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:
>> Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> Yes, but at this point you are already failed. Because you turned
>>> something as simple as clicking an 'update' button
>>> into an engineering task for end user.
>>
>> Hardly. You have been driving the discussion into ever more obscure
>> situations without offering any answer whatsoever yourself. Up until the
>> point where you were asking about conflicting updates from different
>> sources, there was no need for any user interaction. If you are claiming
>> that you have some "clever tool" that can automagically merge conflicting
>> code, then please put up or shut up. Because this discussion is really
>> getting silly and I'm running out of patience quickly.
>>
> No offense :)
> I just wanted to illustrate, the limits of update stream(s), mainly
> for developers and maintainers.
> I don't think that we need a situations, like when 1000 users by
> pressing 'update'  get riddled with opening a merge tool which
> proposes them to stop working on their own task(s) and bravely start
> merging conflicts. This is simply ridiculous.

And btw, this is nearly same ridiculous for 10-20 developers who doing
the same simueltaneously.
There should be 1-2 people who needs to get work done, while rest should wait.
So, as you see, even for core-devs group (which we currently forming,
btw), an automatic updates having same flaws in this regard.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.