[Release] Philosophical Discussion - The updates button is useless - discuss

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 01:55:26 UTC 2009

2009/7/9 Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:

>>> I think that the closest we can come in practice to such behavior is
>>> merging. Since the MCM updates are merges, you get that precise behavior
>>> when using multiple repositories. In other words, if there were a conflict
>>> in the updates to 3.11 and Seaside 2.9 the update process would open a merge
>>> browser and leave it to you to decide what exactly you want to do with it.
>>>

>> Yes, but at this point you are already failed. Because you turned
>> something as simple as clicking an 'update' button
>> into an engineering task for end user.
>>
>> Cheers :)
>>
> But adding a menu item to MC, in order to offer updates on a per package
> or per repository basis would not be out of the question.
>
> Sake/Packages does this.
>
> "load latest code from sake/packages"

Keith, in Sake you can define a more complex tasks, which could
provide a sort of an update stream in easily manageable fashion.

For instance, you could have a class TaskForLoadingPackageSetX, which
holding a meta-information how to load and/or upgrade from current
image version to an image with up-to-date collection of packages A, B,
C.
Each time a TaskForLoadingPackageSetX author/maintainer updates this
class , and enables new versions of basic packages A,B,C to be
integrated into latest version - he simply changing the meta-record,
or , what i think is more appropriate, adding a new method(s) so they
appear in historical record, like:

TaskForLoadingPackageSetX >> loadVersion123
then he adds
TaskForLoadingPackageSetX >> loadVersion124
then
TaskForLoadingPackageSetX >> loadVersion125
and so on..

Does this makes sense to anyone than me?

> Keith

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.