[Seaside-dev] Scriptaculous SUCounterTest>>states

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Tue Oct 2 15:29:50 UTC 2007

>> If there's meant to be something special in the render-loop to avoid
>> backtracking the ajaxian responses/requests.. then it's broken in our
>> current VW 2.8 implementation. Any pointers to where I should be looking
>> for that?
>>

> As I said WARenderContinuation>>#hanldeRequest: does something
> different for XMLHttpRequests (it updates the current snapshot).

So as I was stepping through #snapshot, trying to figure out how the
snapshotting mechanism could possibly be broken, I stumbled across a
small surprise. In the current version in VW, WASnapshot is subclassed
from IdentityDictionary - which uses two arrays, not an array of
associations. Naturally, the code below fails to actually make a snapeshot.

self associationsDo: [ :assoc | assoc value: assoc key snapshotCopy ]

Ouch. I'll backtrack versions of Seaside to see where this change
occurred.. though I suspect it's always been this way, since normally
#register: is used to add things to a snapshot which uses #at:put: and
#restore: doesn't self-manipulate.

Just an interesting gotcha FYI.

(ps: Lukas, private email was to get a quick back-and-forth to figure
out what was wrong, not to exclude the list)

Michael