[Seaside-dev] Re: Seaside2.8a1-mb.487

Martin Kobetic mkobetic at cincom.com
Tue Oct 2 18:30:37 UTC 2007

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> As a long term solution I don't think it makes much sense to force
> this artificial complexity to the user. Hence I propose a selector
> that combines the advantates of #asString and #displayString.
>
> #toString
> - returns a String always, no Symbol, no Text
> - understood by all objects
> - no conflicts with existing methods
>
> Yes, this is like Rails implementing unicode because Ruby doesn't.

I don't think this is sufficient definition of #toString. Presumably it shouldn't return just an arbitrary String for any object. What exactly should the return value convey ? Is it a "string equivalent" of the object (like asString), is it a description for application user (like #displayString), is it a description for application developer (printString), or something completely different ?