[Seaside-dev] Seaside2.8a1-mb.505

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Thu Oct 18 18:04:34 UTC 2007

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>> baseName := SeasidePlatformSupport isSqueak
>>                                 ifTrue: ['seaside']
>>                                 ifFalse: ['seaside/go'].
>>

> Another question is, why does VisualWorks needs a special default path?
>
> It is always a pain to tell beginners and to explain in texts that you
> have to type
>
>     http://localhost:8080/seaside/foo
>
> except if they are on VW
>
>     http://localhost:8080/seaside/go/foo
>
> Just a thought. I think it would be worth to make that consistent.

In the latest 2.8 builds for the vw-dev program we've changed this back
to use the same paths as regular Seaside - and have added a
configuration option to change it so that users can easily remove the
/seaside/ root path if they want (or mount it somewhere else too).

I believe this was originally done because of Web ToolKit and the way it
mounts paths.

 From Phillipe:
> If you were talking about mb.505, I think it is cool.
> > Why would it break Gemstone? Do they use /seaside/go for their urls?
>

> AFAIK and that's exactly why I think it will break
>
> baseName := SeasidePlatformSupport isSqueak
> 				ifTrue: ['seaside']
> 				ifFalse: ['seaside/go'].
>
> will return 'seaside/go' on Gemstone since it is not Squeak and
> therefore break if it has worked up to now.
So this is gone too with Michel's change - it now does baseName :=
SeasidePlatformSupport defaultDispatcherName and will therefore be the
same on all platforms instead of doing the specific isSqueak test as it
had done previously.

Cheers,
Michael