[Seaside-dev] WAContext Refactoring

Paolo Bonzini bonzini at gnu.org
Tue Apr 1 16:15:15 UTC 2008

> In Squeak, the process variables are inherited from the 'parent' process
> when a continuation is started (the context stack within the process is
> replaced without affecting anything else).

Right.  So it would work the same even in GNU Smalltalk, or at least I'd
expect it to.

> It's this inheritance that
> makes it possible to use process locals to replace dynamic variables,
> since continuations need to pick up the session (and now other
> interesting request-specific info) for which they have been invoked.

... because the session is placed in the process local *before* invoking
the continuation (I'm not sure whether WAProcessVariable's #ensure:
block will run though, if the continuation hijacks the control flow, but
that would be the same in Squeak too).  Got it, thanks Dale.

Paolo