[Seaside-dev] Issue 168 in seaside: get a complete Universe for 2.9

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Dec 27 15:58:50 UTC 2008

Comment #8 on issue 168 by renggli: get a complete Universe for 2.9

The Script Builder is already able to produce complete Universes. However I
encountered issues and concluded
that Package Universe is incapable to load working configurations of
Seaside, due to the following reasons:

- Dependencies of a single package are not always loaded in the specified
order.

- It is not possible to have inverse dependencies, that would be necessary
to cleanly load the associate
Squeak package after the main package. For example when you load
Seaside-Development, you want that
Seaside-Squeak-Development is automatically loaded afterwards without that
the user has to select it
manually.

- It is unclear to me how to have multiple branches available at the same
time, while people can upgrade and
downgrade easily within reasonable bounds. Package Universe only allows to
go to the latest version.

- Furthermore I don't see how new universes can be added to all the images
out-there, there is no meta-
universe/package-overlay/... that works without patching Package Universes.