[Seaside-dev] Object log

Julian Fitzell julian at fitzell.ca
Mon Jul 14 03:07:56 UTC 2008

Sort of. In the past we have set it up so that on an error the vm
forks and saves itself. If I recall correctly the fork requires
OSProcess and is necessary because there is no primitive to save a
copy of the image. Also, obviously you don't want the user session to
wait while it is written to disk. Then you can simply open up the
images later to debug. Ought to be pretty easy to add an error handler
to do this and maybe a good idea.

Alternatively, if you're happy staying within the image that triggered
the error, I just hacked together a handler that grabs a continuation
and a copy of the request context. If we figured out a reasonable
place to store them, we could write some UI to let you browse, debug,
and delete them. Obviously there are issues around holding onto these
sessions for a long time and unless we do a deep copy of the session
(how deep!?!) things in there may have changed by the time you debug.
I doubt it will ever be perfect and persisting this so it can be read
back into another image for debugging doesn't really work in Squeak I
think...

Julian