[Seaside-dev] #space method,   and Safari

Michael Lucas-Smith mlucas-smith at cincom.com
Tue May 6 07:32:17 UTC 2008

Philippe Marschall wrote:
> 2008/5/6 Michael Lucas-Smith <mlucas-smith at cincom.com>:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was debugging in WebKit today and realized that Safari is quite particular
>> about named entities such as 'nbsp' if you haven't declared the DTD at the
>> top of your document. I don't think it's reasonable to require the DTD to be
>> declared if we're using XHTML namespaces.
>>

> I do. Especially since we send the stuff as as text/html and even more
> important because of those nice browsers that customers use that do
> all nice of non-standard compiliant things if you leave it out. But we
> should get rid of the xml preamble because it triggers quirks mode on
> IE.

That's a good point. There must be something else going on in my code.
In this particular case, I would see the error appear when doing an XHR
response with xhtml content from the server through mootools.

This suggests that parsing the response content with Mootools 1.2 might
have somehow done it without the DTD active, thus the named entity was
unknown. Regular renders with the &nbsp; do indeed work.

I'll have to investigate some more and possibly raise a bug with
Mootools.. however, I still vote to use the non-named entity in the
#space method.

Cheers,
Michael