[Seaside-dev] Issue 240 in seaside: JSJsonTests are not portable

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Nov 13 19:02:11 UTC 2008

Issue 240: JSJsonTests are not portable

New issue report by wembley.instantiations:
I have been getting failures in my port of the JSJson tests (example, self
assert: (self parse: 'True') = 'True').  These failures were a bit of a
mystery to me since on VA Smalltalk "self parse: 'True'" answers a Symbol,
not a String.  But on delving into Squeak, all is now clear -- it answers
a Symbol there also!

The problem is that on other implementations (VA Smalltalk, Gemstone, VW,
GNU and Dolphin), an equality test on Symbols is an identity test.  But on
Squeak, it isn't -- So "#abc' = 'abc'" answers true on Squeak and false on
the other implementations.

Actually, since the parser produces Symbols, it seems to me that the tests
should fail if the parser suddenly started producing Strings (but they
wouldn't as they are now coded).  Of course, the tests for which the
parser actually outputs a String (for example, parsing comments and
strings) should not be changed.

Issue attributes:
	Owner: wembley.instantiations
	Labels: Type-Portability Priority-Medium Version-Seaside2.9