[Seaside-dev] Loading Seaside 2.9 from scratch

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 19:44:13 UTC 2008

Hi Gerhard

Thanks for testing, I had a look unfortunately there are indeed
several severe problems left. If we had looked more exactly at the
dependency diagram then we would have found that out. What we did:
- Seaside-Core expects a WAContinuation class, because of this we made
a Seaside-Squeak-Continuation package and moved it there
- Seaside-Core expects also a WAProcess variable class, so I moved it
there as well

What we overlooked:
- Several classes in Seaside-Core expect a working
SeasidePlatformSupport and send messages to it during class
initialization, examples include, WAExternalID, WAFileLibrary,
WAHtmlEncoder, WAUrlEncoder
- WASqueakPlatfrom depends on other classes like WAGenericSqueakCodec
and WAUtf8SqueakCodec
- WAUtf8SqueakCodec and WAGenericSqueakCodec depend on WACodec

I see two options, both of them are ugly:
1. Merge Seaside-Squeak-Core and Seaside-Squeak-Continuation and load
it before Seaside-Core. WAUtf8SqueakCodec and WAGenericSqueakCodec
would have to become subclasses of Object which is ugly because they
implement the WACodec "interface".
2. Lazily initialize the WAExternalID, WAFileLibrary, WAHtmlEncoder,
WAUrlEncoder classes from Seaside-Squeak-Core which is ugly because it
is error prone and we have an undeclared in Seaside-Core for a short
time.

Preferences? Other options?

And a continuous integration server would really help catch these issues