[Seaside-dev] preliminary Seaside 2.9 alpha universe

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 20:21:16 UTC 2008

Hi

Seaside 2.9 was always hard to load. We always said that we would fix
this and this is a preview of what we expect the solution to look
like.

After some evaluation of what is available in Squeak we had only two
options, either start from scratch or use universes [1]. We decided to
give universes a shot. Universes is something like a debian
distribution universe for squeak.

So how do you load this stuff:
 1. get Universes, if you don't already have it (3.10)
  1.1 get an XML parser [2]
  1.2 get universes [3]
  1.3 optionally the the OB universe browser [4]
 2. save the *.packages to your image directory
 3. load the attached .mcz
 4. evaluate UUniverse switchSystemToUniverse: UUniverse seasideAndServers
 5. in the world menu open a "Universe Browser" either basic or enhanced
 6. "update list from network"
 7. choose a distribution
 8. choose a server

There are still some unsolved issues like the naming of alpha an beta
versions. We probably want website integration as well. One possible
change would be to move the tests to a separate tests category.

 [1] http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3785
 [2] http://www.squeaksource.com/universes.html
 [3] http://www.squeaksource.com/XMLSupport.html
 [4] http://www.squeaksource.com/OBUniverse.html