[Seaside-dev] Re: seaside sources ....

James Ladd james_ladd at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 22 20:33:27 UTC 2009

Hi Seasiders,

Thank you for the response to the question of where to get the
Seaside sources.

Here is a little more about Redline Smalltalk for the Java Virtual Machine.

1. It compiles Smalltalk to Java ByteCode directly, which runs on the Java Virtual Machine.
2. I can debug through Smalltalk source using a Java debugger. Smalltalk source code
    is shown and you can set break points etc.
3. Each Smalltalk class source is saved in a .st file and compiled to a .class file.
    No single image file, no filing in or out.
4. You can call Java from Smalltalk and your Smalltalk classes can be called from Java.

Things I am planning (to be available on initial release):

5. There is an Eclipse plugin being developed, so you can use this powerful and free
    IDE to develop Smalltalk.
6. There will be a port of Seaside that will run on the Java Jetty Server.
7. There will be support for Maven/Ivy and other mechanisms to automatically find, load
    and install dependencies.
8. There will be an interactive command line
9. There will be database integration through JDBC (no more database driver hell)

Possible:

10: Gemstone or Object database support.

My blog is here: http://www.jamesladdcode.com
You can follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/jamesladd
but Smalltalk stuff is http://twitter.com/smalltalkjvm

Rgs, James.