[Seaside-dev] Re: seaside sources ....

Philippe Marschall philippe.marschall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 10:07:28 UTC 2009

2009/12/24 James Robertson <jrobertson at cincom.com>:
> This might be workable as a one off.  However, how would it work if you
> intend to track Seaside as it moves forward?  When we decided to do formal
> support for Seaside in Cincom Smalltalk, we ended up building a Monticello
> client.  While we don't support that client, it makes code interchange with
> the Seaside developers way, way easier - we can give them suggested changes
> the way they want them.
> How would you do that?  Mail changes to them?  Believe me, we did that for
> awhile, and no one was happy with the way that worked :)

I don't think keeping in synch in this case makes any sense at all.
There's just so much that a servlet enviornment provides that we had
to invent ourselves. Sessions, files (optionally even with sendfile()
support), portability are just thee of things that come to my mind. It
would be a pity to not use it when it's already there and working
better than anything we have. Once you're done with everything it may
still look the same at the WAComponent and WACanvas level but the
whole guts would be exchanged.