[Seaside-dev] thoughts on partial continuations

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 14:58:17 UTC 2009

And now for the real thing (your second mail indeed distracted from
the original question):

> We are using partial continuations, which is great, but we are still using
> an exception to signal the end of callback processing. Signaling an
> exception results the callback contexts being unwound and #ensure: blocks in
> the callback being triggered. This is why WAClosureFunctionalTest doesn't
> really make sense.

I don't think that this is related with the use of partial
continuations, because there is exactly the same problem with full
continuations. Also note that #decorateWith:during: (the counterpart
of #filterWith:during: that was in-use before we added filters) did
never have the #ensure: thing.

Continuations (no matter what kind) and unwind blocks don't mix
together. Should ensure blocks be unwound at all? When should they be
unwound? How many times should they be unwound? You can change these
property in the continuation and it probably solves this problem, but
opens a bunch of other problems for sure. The only reasonable position
to decide when to unwind is within the unwind block itself. I suggest
not to go into that direction and just keep it with common wisdom:
unwind blocks and continuations don't mix well.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch