[Seaside-dev] thoughts on call semantics (not partial continuations)

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 19:14:41 UTC 2009

> instructing users never to put ensure blocks in a callback. Can we then
> agree that semantically it does not make sense to unwind a callback's
> contexts when doing a #call:?

Yes, we agree on that.

> This is the most relevant piece of the discussion to me. When you call, your
> callback is conceptually immediately suspended. I think we should be
> terminating back to the framework code and then signaling a Notification
> rather than unwinding the callback.

Why do you think it is conceptually wrong to unwind? Why do you think
it even matters given our agreement above?

I think that raising an exception is an advantage, because it gives
the flexibility to the code to intercept the unwinding and decide to
do something else. Unwind blocks could even decide for themselves what
they wanted to do in the given context.

http://www.lukas-renggli.ch