[Seaside-dev] Issue 350 in seaside: Several WAMutexTests and one WAPlatformTest fail on VA Smalltalk

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Feb 18 18:10:17 UTC 2009

Owner: wembley.instantiations
Labels: Type-Portability Priority-Medium

New issue 350 by wembley.instantiations: Several WAMutexTests and one
WAPlatformTest fail on VA Smalltalk

There seems to be a difference in behavior on VA Smalltalk compared to
Squeak with respect to what happens when a process is resumed.

On Squeak, resuming a process seems to place the resumed process at the
front of the execution queue while on VA Smalltalk resuming a process puts
the resumed process at the end of the execution queue.

The effect of this difference is that the sequence of code in several of
the WAMutexTests like:

   semaphore signal.
   semaphore wait.

will never wait.

The fix on VA Smalltalk is to insert 'Processor yield.' between the 2
lines of code.  I don't think this will cause any problem on Squeak, but I
want some validation of that idea before I make the change.