[Seaside-dev] exception handler instance creation

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 19:31:28 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Dale Henrichs
<dale.henrichs at gemstone.com> wrote:
> Julian,
>
> For the exception handling to work correctly in GemStone, we also need to have subclasses of Exception (ExceptionA in 2.x and in 3.x Exception). There's a fair amount of support code in Exception that is inherited and is needed for exceptions to work correctly.
>
> James Foster is very intimate with the 2.x exception handling mechanism and has been working with Seaside2.9 recently, so he can give a definitive answer.

Well, we need to make the distinction between exceptions themselves
and what the ANSI spec calls "exception selectors". It seems that in
most (if not all) systems, the Exception class is also an "exception
selector" (as is ExceptionSet). What we're doing here isn't having
another class behave like an exception (which I would expect to have a
lot of support code) but like an "exception selector" (that is,
something which can be asked whether a particular exception should be
handled).

But I'll wait for James to comment unless I get around to downloading
GLASS again myself in the meantime.

Thanks,