[Seaside-dev] Issue 303 in seaside: Character >> #asInteger

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Jan 24 09:36:16 UTC 2009

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Low Platform-Squeak

New issue 303 by philippe.marschall: Character >> #asInteger

There are several places in Seaside where we send #asInteger to a
Character an expect to get the code point. The problem is that on
Squeak 3.8+ #asInteger (the same way as #asciiValue) has totally
perverted semantics. If the character is a non-Latin-1 character
(actually if the code point is higher than 255) then leadingChar will
be bit  twiddled into the code point.

So if you set up your image the "correct" way you're in for some nice
surprises. Especially since Unicode in Squeak has a leading char of 255 and
not 0 as latin 1. To avoid all this we'd have to send #asUnicode.

We have three choices
- force Squeak-ishms on everybody (#asUnicode) and hope and pray we
don't get any clashes (that worked really well for #toString)
- don't support Squeak EncodedCharSet and if something breaks tell the
users it's their fault
- #seasideAsInteger